Srimatae Ramanujaya Namaha,
Asmadh Sarva Gurubhyo Namaha,
Namaskaram to All Swami’s who has similar doubht,
With Acharya ThiruvAdi Bhalam and Velukkudi SriKrishnan Swami’s Aasirvadham, adiyen will sharea collective information from Swami’s “Sanatana Dharma” upanyasam and from other SriVaishnava blogs regarding the Sampradhyams,
The four main Sampradayam which are prevailing with the list of branches are as follows.
The four main Sampradayam which are prevailing with the list of branches are as follows.
A) Vaishnava Sampradayam
1) Sri Sampradayam
1. Sri Sampradayam i.e RamanujA Sampradayam
2. Ramanandi Sampradayam (Swami Narayan BAPS considered a part of this Sampradhaya)
2) Brahma Sampradayam
1. Brahma Madhva Sampradayam
2. Brahma Madhva Gaudiya Sampradayam
3) Rudra Sampradayam
1. Vishnusvami Sampradayam
2. Vallabha Sampradayam
4) Kaumara Sampradayam (Sanatanika Kumaras Brahma’s four sons sampradaya).
B) Shaivaite Sampradayam
1. Dashanami Sampradaya
2. Nath Sampradaya.
C) Maharaj Bhuriwale (Garib Dassi) Sampradaya – To preach the teachings of “Holy Granth” of Acharya Shri Garib Das Ji
D) Advaita Vedanta sampradaya – Founded by Adi Sankarar based on Philosophy – Advaita.
Within the A) Vaishanava Sampradhaya, there are four Bonafide Sampradhayas as below per Padma Purana and it is not said it will be merge to one, but it is said that the as per the slokam, the Avarohanam (top to down) indicates the Essence of Upanishads like “ParamAthma, Chits Achits (Three tatvams) is established in Sri SampradhayAm which is TOP MOST which is being established by following the “Kataka Shruthi of vedas” by Swami RamanujAr, where as other sampradhayams used the limited portions of upanishads like Bheda & Abedha shruthi’s verses, but Swami RamanujAr used the Upanishads verses which joins both Abedha & Bedha’s (like Kataka shruthi) reflects the three tavams like “Yasya Athma Shareeram………Yasya Prithvi Shareeram“……means both Chit & Achit are MY Body (ParamAthma’s Body)
Sampradāyavihīnā ye mantrāste niṣphalā matāḥ|
ataḥ kalau bhaviśyanti catvāraḥ sampradāyinaḥ||
Śrī-brahmā-rudra-sanakā vaiṣṇavā kṣitipāvanāḥ|
catvāraste kalau bhāvya hyutkale puruṣottamāt||
rāmānujaṃ śrī svicakre madhvācaryaṃ caturmukhaḥ|
śrīviṣṇusvāminaṃ rudro nimbādityaṃ catuḥsanāḥ||
All mantras which have been given (to disciples) not in an authorised Sampradāya are fruitless. Therefore, in Kali Yuga, there will be four bona-fide Sampradāyas. One of them were inaugurated by Śrī Devī (Sri MahaLakshmi ThayAr) and known as the Śrī Sampradāya, one by Lord Brahmā and known as the Brahmā Sampradāya,one by Lord Rudra and known as the Rudra Sampradāya; one by the Four Kumāras and known as Sanakādi Sampradāya. Śrī Devī made Rāmānujācārya the head of that lineage. So too Lord Brahmā appointed Madhvācārya, Lord Rudra appointed Viṣṇusvāmī and the four Kumaras chose Nimbāditya (an epithet for Śrī Nimbārkācārya).
A 1) Sri Sampradayam / Ramanuja Sampradayam based on Philosophy – Vishistadvaita :
Sri is the beloved of Narayana. She is His disciple as well. Her wonderful activities are elaborately described in all the Sastras. Sri is another name of MahaLakshmi. Her disciplic succession called the Sri sampradya has unlimited branches and subbranches. After Ramanuja became the acarya in this sampradaya it took the name Ramanuja-sampradaya. Ramanujacharya
(Incarnation of Adhi Seshan) earlier known as Laksmanacharya is the author of the Ramanuja-bhashya on Brahma Sutra called as Sri Bhashya. Groups are
• Ramanuja sampradaya
• Rāmānandī Sampradaya is a branch of Sri sampradaya founded by Sri Ramanandacharya and very prominent in north India. Tulsidas, who composed the Ramcharitmanas, was a member of this sect
Acharya lineage of Sri Sampradayam:
• Ramanuja Sampradayam – Sri Sampradayam Acharya Lineage (Please listen to Sri Velukkudi Swami’s GuruParamparai upanyasam)
• Ramanandi Sampradayam – Ramanandi
A 2) Brahma Sampradayam / Madhva Sampradyam based on Philosophy – Dvaita :
Lord Brahma is the leading disciple of the supreme Lord Narayana. His sampradaya is known as Brahma sampradaya with disciples all over the world. In this sampradaya, Sri Madhva(Incarnation of Vayu) significantly contributed by writing a commentary on the Brahma-sutras. After this the sampradaya became known as the Madhva-sampradaya.
• Brahma Madhva Sampradayam by Madhavacharya
• Brahma Madhva Gaudiya Sampradayam / Chaitanya Vaishnavism is a branch of this Brahma-madhva sampradayam founded by Chaitanya Mahaprabhu based on Philosophy “Achintya Bheda Abheda” or “Achintya”. Iskcon Founder-Acarya Swami Prabhupada comes in the brahma-madhva-gaudiya disciplic succession.
Acharya lineage of Brahma Sampradayam:
• Brahma Madhva Sampradayam:
◦ Krishna, Brahma, Narada, Vyasa, Madhva, Padmanabha, NaraHari, Madhva, Jaya
Thirtha ……………….. till today’s acharya’s of various Madhva Mutt.
◦ Further details refer – Raghavendra Mutt Guru Parampara & Madhavcharya
• Brahma Madhava Gaudiya Sampradayam :
◦ Krishna, Brahma, Narada, Vyasa, Madhva, Padmanabha, NaraHari, Madhva, Jaya Thirtha, ……….,
◦ Lord Chaitanya ( Incarnation of Krishna)
◦ Six Goswami’s:
Srila Sanatana Goswami,
Srila Rupa Goswami,
Srila Gopala Bhatta Goswami,
Srila Raghunatha Dasa Goswami,
Srila Raghunatha Bhatta Goswami,
Srila Jiva Goswami,
Srila Jagannatha Dasa Babaji Maharaja
Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura
Srila Gaurakishora Dasa Babaji Maharaja
Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura
◦ For more details check ISKCON
A 3) Rudra Sampradayam / Vishnusvami-sampradaya based on Philosophy – Shuddhadvaita:
The SUPREME Lord Narayana also has Lord Rudra/Shiva as His disciple. Vishnusvami was a leading disciple in the Rudra Sampradaya. Vishnusvami was very influential and a learned scholar of all the scriptures. After him this disciple succession came to be known as the Vishnusvami-sampradaya.
• Vishnusvami Sampradayam by Vishnusvami
• Vallabha Sampradaya/ Pushti Sampradaya is a branch of this Vishnusvami sampradayam by Sri Vallabhacharya based on Philosophy called “Shuddhadvaita”. He wrote a commentary named Anubhasya, which is highly respected. Eight disciples of Vallabhacharya are called the ashta-chaap (eight reprints) – Surdas, Krushnadas, Paramanand, Kumbhandas, Chaturbhuj, Nanddas, Chhitswami, Govinddas.
Acharya lineage of Rudra Sampradayam:
• Vishusvami Sampradaya – Vishnu, Shiva, …15th in line is Vishnusvami
• Vallabha Sampradaya – Lord Shrinathji(Krishna), Vallabha, Damodardas Harsani…………Refer PushtiMarg
A 4) Kumara Sampradayam / Sanakadi Sampradayam / Nimbarka based on Philosophy – Dvaitadvaita:
From the supreme Lord Narayana appeared the Hamsa-avatara. In this disciplic succession came the four Kumaras of Brahma- Sanaka, Sanandana, Sanātana, and Sanat Kumāra. In this line Nimbaditya / Nimbarka was a leading disciple. The name Nimbaditya sampradaya was thus established.
Acharya lineage of Kaumara Sampradayam:
• 4 Kumaras of Brahma – Sanaka, Sanandana, Sanātana, and Sanat Kumāra
• Sri Nimbarkacarya ( Incarnation of Sudharsana Chakra)
• Sri Srinivasacarya
• Sri Dvadasacaryas
• Sri Astadasabhattacaryas
• Sri Harivyasadevacarya
• Sri Svabhuramadevacarya
• Sri Parasuramadevacarya
• Sri sri ji maharaj
• Sri Sri 108 Ramdas Kathiababaji Maharaj
• Sri Sri 108 Santadas Kathiababaji Maharaj
• Sri Sri 108 Dhananjaydas Kathiababaji Maharaj
• Sri Sri 108 Rashbeharidas Kathiababaji Maharaj (Present)
D) Advaita Vedanta Sampradayam based on Advaita Vedanta Philosophy
This Sampradyam is based on Advaita Vedata Philosoiphy and profounded by Shankaracharya (avatar of Shiva(Shankara)).
Shankaracharya is responsible for founding many punyakshetras along the length and breadth of India, by taming avatars of Parvati and imprisoning her essence in Sri Chakras.
Acharya lineage of Advaita Vedanta Sampradayam:
Acharya Lineage of this Sampradayam with lineage from God, then Rishi to the Guru’s is as follows
• Daiva-paramparā (God) – Nārāyaṇa, Padmabhuva (Brahmā)
• Ṛṣi-paramparā (Rishi) – Vaśiṣṭha,Śakti,Parāśara,Vyāsa,Śuka
• Mānava-paramparā (Acharya)
◦ Govinda bhagavatpāda
◦ Śankara bhagavatpāda
◦ Sankara’s four disciples who are also head of 4 Mutt’s as:
– Padmapāda – Head of Govardhana Pitham
– Hastāmalaka – Head of Sringeri Sarada Pitham
– Toṭaka – Head of Dvaraka Pitham
– Vārtikakāra (Sureśvara) – Head of Jyothirmatha Pitham
• Also refer Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham Acharya Lineage & Kanchi Peetham
As informed above, within the A) Vaishanava Sampradhaya, there are four Bonafide Sampradhayas as per the above Padma Purana verse and it is not said it will be merge to one, but it is said that the as per the slokam, the Avarohanam (top to down) indicates the Essence of Upanishads like “ParamAthma, Chits Achits (Three tatvams) is established in Sri SampradhayAm which is TOP MOST which is being established by following the “Kataka Shruthi of vedas” by Swami RamanujAr, where as other sampradhayams used the limited portions of upanishads like Bheda & Abedha shruthi’s verses, but Swami RamanujAr used the Upanishads verses which joins both Abedha & Bedha’s (like Kataka shruthi) reflects the three tavams like “Yasya Athma Shareeram………Yasya Prithvi Shareeram“……means both Chit & Achit are MY Body (ParamAthma’s Body)
Nirai Irundhaal, adiyenudaya Acharya ThiruvAdi Bhalatthaal, Sri Velukkuid Swami Aasrivadhatthaal.
Adiyen Srinivasa (DhoddayaAcharyar) Dasan,
Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swami ThiruvAdigalaey Sharanam
Acharyar ThiruvAdigalaey Sharanam.
Ramanujan Yennai Aandananey,
Sarvam SriKrishnarpanam Asthu.