18 Puraanaas and Upanishads in Tamil translated from Moola texts or in original form

Updated on January 24, 2018 in Holy Books
2 on January 22, 2018

Swamy,
Adiyean raised this topic earlier too (prev version of Q & A Kinchit site)but yet to get any reply and hence post it again.

Where can we get 18 Puraanaas, Vedas with explanations and the Upanishads in Tamil Texts translated from Moola texts or in its original form.

Adiyean searched book shops for such but found many authors and varied contents which I hesitated to buy as I wanted texts translated only from Moola author texts say, Vyasar etc.,
Could you guide us to get all the 18 Puraanaas etc.,

I can see that Gita Press from Gorakpur prints Baghavat Gita, Srimath Bhaghvatham, Ramayanam etc., all have moola slogams from Bhagawath Valmihi muni etc., and its Tamil translations and commentaries.

I would like to buy those original texts in Tamil.

Also suggest to Swamy that a detailed / comprehensive Sri Vaishnava hand book in Tamil – A to Z ( rules, regulations, practices including nithya aradhana etc., our Sanathana Dharma list of Texts that must be in hand with every Sri Vaishnavite, 108 divya desa with Sthala puranams, Alwars, Acharyas, Temples Sthala purana , Veda, Upanishads, Veda angangal etc.. ), Kala kanakku etc., that would be a very good reference for LKG students like adiyean which is the need of the hour to get rid off all the doubts or sandhekhas about our Elite ( no word to express..) Sri Vaishnava/ Sanadhana Dharma practices and the history. It could run into many volumes.

Of course, it is a huge process/ mammoth task to consolidate , compile and index all the topics or to cover the Ocean of Sri Vaishnava. But it would be a great help for present and future generation.

Its something like DK Multimedia publications but to cover the entire topics.
References to the original texts can be included as a guide as well.

Just a suggesstion.

Adiyean Ramanuja Dhasan
Srinivasan.

• Liked by
0 on January 23, 2018

Namaskarams Swamy,

Adiyen is also trying to collect all Puranas, Upanishads etc. As per Srivaishnava Sampardayam, Adiyen got some in English. But, it’s difficult to find in Tamil.

But, I got few in Tamil. Here are the info.

1. Vishnu Puranam – Sri Nrisimha Priya Trust has published in 2 volumes and it is complete. It’s good one. Cost just Rs. 350/-. Available for online purchase in haristore.com. If you are in Chennai, you may directly go to trust and buy. Or you may try in Srivaishnavasri Chennai.

2. Bagavata Puranam – Don’t have complete set per Srivaishnava Sampardayam. But, Bagavatam word by word meaning of all slokas explained by Shri Krishna Premi Anna is published by Bagavan Nama Trust in 7 volumes. It’s available for online purchase and can be directly bought in Chennai. It costs around Rs. 1500 if Adiyen is correct.

3. Varaha Puranam by Pazhaveri Chakaravarthy Raghavasimhachar, Publisher is Sri Vishnu Chita Sri. Adiyen just ordered in haristore.com and not yet received. Preview pages not available. Adiyen believe it is complete in 2 volumes but not sure. Total cost comes around Rs. 593 including courier charges.

4. Brahma Sutras – You may refer “Arivoma Brahma Sutram” by Sri VN Gopala Desikan. Akshara Publication. Costs around Rs. 160 only. It’s complete with moolan, very simple but beautifully explained. Adiyen purchased and read it too. Hence confident that people would like. I bought it in Chennai book fare 2018. You may call and enquire publishers.

5. Brahma Sutras – Sri Bashyam by Sri Srirangam Sadagopa Muthu Srinivasan Swamy. Sri Shenbaga Pathipagam. This publishers is near Residency Towers hotel, Chennai and you may directly purchase. Also available for online purchase in sites like Srivaishnavasri. Cost will be around Rs. 310. It is very elaborate with all Vada and Prathivada.

Adiyen will go through my home library and send references if I find more. But, most of the books are available in English.

For example, Principal Upanishads (3 volumes) in English by Dr. N S Anantha Rangacharya is available on haristore.com, which costs around Rs. 750. Upanishads covered are Isa, Kena, Katha, Prasna, Mundaka, Mandookya, Taittiriya, Mahanarayana, Svetasvatara, Chandogya and Brihadaranyaka Upanishads. This is as per Sri Vaishnavam but in English.

Adiyen have listed only books related to Srivaishnavam and in Tamil. If other Sampardayam books are also ok in English, you may visit websites like exoticindiaart.com, even available on Amazon, Flipkart etc. You may simply visit Exotic India and try searching Visishtadvaita, where you may get good number of old rare books in English.

If you wish to buy books only of Sri Vaishnava traditions, please visit haristore.com and srivaishnavasrichennai.com. You can find ‘n’ number of Sri Vaishnava books alone.

However, you may not be able to get all in one place. We have to patiently do some research and search more and more. I had been collecting the books for years from all Sampardayams and believe Adiyen have some good amount of collections by now. More to buy and gain knowledge. I would feel happy if other people can also give good reference books and source of purchase.

Sarvam Shri Krishnaarpanamastu!

Daasanu Daasan Srinivasan Pranesh

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 24, 2018

Dhanyosmi Swamy,

Thanks for your time in replying. Yes, I browsed through Hari stores and SriVaishnavaSri online shops. It is not possible to browse the contents online.

Actually, what I was trying to mention is that either the contents of those texts (many authors)are brief or inclusion of their own commentaries / opinions which I do not want to read as I want to read only the SriVaishna Sidhanta based tamil-translated texts and contents by our poorvaachariyars (Sri Parasara Battar, etc.,) or their descendants or their approved disciples. 

For instance, authors like, PBA Swamigal, Sri Krishnaswamy Iyengar, Puthur Agrahara, Trichy Srivaishanava Magazine author,editor and so on..

For instance, the authors of Tamil-translated Srimath Bhagahvatha Maha Puranam by Gita Press imply that their commentaries/explanations are mainly (adopted) based on “Athvaitha Srithareeyam” whereas for Vishishtadvaita-based Sithantham it is authored by “Sri Veeraraghaaveeyam”.

For Dvytham, it is “Vijayahthvajeeyam”.

Hence, I am looking for Vishishtadvaita-based moola texts translated either from Sanskrit or Tamil Grantha texts by our Poorvaachariyars or our recent Aacharyars for the 18Puraanas and Veda, upanishads complete with Slogams, meaning and Tamil commentaries as provided in detail by Gita Press Publications.

I already have the texts for our Nalayira Divya Prabhandams and other our Poorvacharyar commentaries for all our Acharyars-written texts.  I have bought Thiruvaimozhi Tamil commentary with pasurams from Swamigal’s Kinchit trust- recd 2 out of 3 books(3rd book yet to released) with complete audio CDs.

Thanks Swamy for sharing your information.

Adiyean Ramunaja Dhasan

Srinivasan

• Liked by
Cancel