Sri Ramanuja Munaye Namaha,
Asmadh Sarva Gurubyo Namaha,
Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swami Guruve Namaha,
Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swami Arulaal, Asmadh Acharyan Krupaiyaal, adiyen would like to share a small sequence from Swami’s Upanyasams “Vaartha Maalai” grantham. Vaartha Maalai grantham was Compliled by Acharya Swami Pinbhu Azhagiya Perumal Jeeyar (Acharyan Swami NamPillai’s Shisyar), who has compiled each of the different PoorvAcharyas “Vaarthai (Holy Words/conversations)” into a “Maalai (Garland) thorugh Oran Vazhi GuruParamparai teachings, means a ‘Garland of Holy Words (Vaartha Maalai)’ for future Aasthika generations to KNOW, LEARN and LIVE with Grattitude (Kruthakgyatha) towards PoorvAcharyas and BE like a Mummukkshu (Thudippu for Moksham& Kainkaryam). Swami EmperumanaAr Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swami ThiruvAdigalaey Sharanam.
‘Vaartha Maalai’ doesn’t include the BASIC stuffs like BG, BhagavAt Gita (SriKrishna BhagavAn is author) or SB, Srimadh BhagavAtam (VedaVyasar is author). Vaartha Maalai (Oran VAzhi GuruParamparai Acharyas are the AUTHOR’s) is HIGHER level stuffs than BG & SB, but easy to understand with Acharyar UdayavAr Krupai through Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swami THiruvAdi.
There are so may Vaarthais, but adiyen is picking 244th vaarthai from “Vaartha Maalai” grantham to get a feel of PoorvAcharyas teachings. Adiyen has heard Swami’s previous 4hr upanyasam, but not hte full CD yet.
All Aasthikas try to get this book and please read, & try to get the full CD as in the Kinchit website for easy understanding from Swami’s.
For sample, adiyen will pick “Vaartha Maalai” 244th Vaarthai which is (said by PoorvAcharyar Swami “Ammangi Ammal” Vaarthai)
THESE 11 PROGRESSIVE STAGES INCLUDES THE ENTIRE DIFFERENT TYPES OF PEOPLE (MATURITY LEVEL OF EACH DUE TO KARMAS/RUCHI/VASANAS), OR IT IS OURSELVES PROGRESSING STEP-BY-STEP FROM 1) THROUGH 11).
WE CAN JUDGE BY OURSLEVS, WHERE WE FIT INTO THESE 11 STAGES.
1) உடம்பை பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்,
2) உறவுமுறை பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்,
3) உடம்பரை பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்,
4) உடம்பர்களை பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்,
5) லோகத்தை பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்,
6) உயிரை பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்,
7) அவனை பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்,
8) அவளை பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்,
9) தன்னையும் அவனையும் பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்,
10) தன்னையும் அவனையும் அவளையும் பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்,
11) அவனையும் அவளையும் பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்,
When asked, we say, we all go behind Bhojanam (Food) to fill our stomach, so we wander around money. But, is it actually True?. To fill our stomach, Is it necessary to study too much materialistic studies?. Not necessary correct?. Simple studies can earn simple jobs to run life, but we go behind money to satisfy the BODY beyond our NEEDS. Food automatically comes to us, if we do SIMPLE jobs, or food will come to us from Divya desam temples, or from Arasu or from Gruhastaas or from BhagavAtas etc….Bhojanam is only a “Udhara Nimittham”.
- If we ask one person what is (சோறு) , then they say, “I” need to get “food” in the morning, afternoon and evening to fill my stomach.
- If we ask one person what is (சோறு) , then they say, “I” need to take “rest/sleep” in the morning, afternoon and evening to fill my stomach.
- If we ask a singer what is (சோறு) , then they say, “I” need to get “Katcheri (concert)” in the morning, afternoon and evening.
- If we ask a Parama BhagavAta, what is (சோறு), then they say, “Adiyen” need to get “Kainkaryam” in the morning, afternoon and evening.
- If we ask a Mumukkshu, what is (சோறு), then they say, “Adiyen” need to get “Moksham” in the morning, afternoon and evening.
So, the definiton of (சோறு) changes from person to person due to their maturity level (Athma-ParamAthma Gyanam).
Hence, ‘சோறு’ here in these 11 satements is not literally ‘food’, but ‘Purusharttham’ (means, Ones own Likes (Icchai)/ Destination (Lakshyam/Goal)/ Desires that they like VERY MUCH).
Yedhai Pattri, Yedhai ANubhavikka Paarkkirroam is the (சோறு /Goal) here.
Swami Ammangi Ammaal says that, in this materialistic world, there are different types of people having different types of desires (சோறு).
Explantion of 11 Stages (Vaarthai 244 of ‘Vaartha Maalai’ grantham):
1) உடம்பை பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்:
* To Satisfy ONLY the Udambhu(Body) is the Lakshyam (destination/goal) in that person’s life.
* Means the person is “Dheha Abhimaani (தேஹாபிமானி )”.
* Means, the person doesn’t understand Dheham (Achit/ Jada Porul /Body) is Different from OURSELVES “The Athma” (Chit / Gyanam’udayadhu / Chaitanyam’udayadhu). The perosn considers Body itself is Himself (Athma).
* So, that persons activity will all be related to satisfying ONLY the Body, and what are those activities?
* Those Activities are focussing ONLY on “Annam (eat any Food), Paanam (have any Drinks) and Kaelikkai (Entertainments like tv, club, any outing etc..)” with NO BhagavAt Bhakthi and NO Kainkaryam.
* Such persons understand that “Achit” is the only Tatvam, so they go behind Annam, Paanam & Kaelikkai as the சோறு/ Primary goal (purusharttham) in their life, which we can see in present practical world.
Swami Ramanujar in GitaBashyam says, anyone who focus on statisying ONLY the Body suffers (Athma’vai Veyilil Vaitthu vittu, Udambhai Nizhalil Vaippadhu).
[If we say I’m going to take care of myself (Athma) and my Swami (ParamAthma), then the body will start fearing, and the body will automatically come to our control (Udambhai Veyilil Vaitthu vittu, Athma’vai Nizhalil Vaippadhu). But the Athma in this stage-1 doesn’t realise it]
So in this 1st stage, satifying ones own bodily needs is the Purushartham/ Primary goal (சோறு) in their life, since they are not aware of their existence as ‘Athma’.
The 2nd level of progression in maturity as below:
2) உறவுமுறை பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்:
Now the Stage-1 realisation is elevated to next level Stage-2.
* Oh, I cannot be selfish about just taking care of my Body only. Now, I need to start considering taking care of myself and MY FAMILY too, my wife, father, mother, sister, brother, kids. neice, nephew so on…. (Still here NO BHagavAt BHakthi and NO Kainkaryam yet). Edhu yellam Thann Udambhai Pattri varum Uravugal.
* உடம்பை பற்றி வரும் பெண்டு பிள்ளைகள் முதலான உரவுமுறைகளுக்கு நன்மையை விரும்பி, இவர்களுடைய உடலை வளர்க்க, ஐஸ்வர்யத்தை சம்பாதித்திப்பவர்கள் .
* In actual, the person is taking care of their family by statisfying their bodily needs ONLY, like annam, paanam, kealikkai etc.. without providing any Athma-ParamAthma Gyanam to their family members, since the person themselves doesn’t know. The person instead of looking his/her Athma needs and their family members Athma needs, he/she was focussing ONLY on his/her bodily needs and other family members bodily needs only. Hence, he/she didnot consider their family members are Athma-Bandhus,. If this was the case, then the focus is BHakthi for themselves and for their family members as well. But, falsely the person thinks, he/she is taking care of their family by focssing ONLY on work (earn money) for annam, panam, kaelikai, but in actual he/she is wasting their life and their family persons life as well.
* So “Uravumuari Pattri Soru Theyduvaarum (taking care of BODILY needs of themselves and their family members without any awareness of themselves being ‘Athmas’)”. This is the சோறு/ Primary goal (purusharttham) in their life, which we can see in present practical world within ordinary families and political families etc…which everyone is aware of.
The 3rd level of pregression in maturity as below:
3) உடம்பரை பற்றி சோறு தேடுவாரும்:
Now the Stage-2 realisation is elevated to next level Stage-3.
உடம்பர் means Udambai (body) udaya Swamiyaana “Athma”.
Now ONLY, the person starts realizing that there is another entity called as “ATHMA” which is higher than “Dheham (Body) and starts to satify the owner of body “The Athma” sugham by going to Swarga lokam (Indra lokam).
தேஹத்தைவிட ஆத்மா ஒன்று உண்டு என்று உணர்ந்து, தேஹத்தின் உடமையாகிய ஆத்மாவுடைய நன்மையை விரும்பி , “ஸ்வர்கம் (இந்திரலோகம்)” என்கிற மறுமைசெல்வத்தை தேடுவாரும் .
Now the person understands that:
1) Oh no! I have satisfied this ‘Body’ for so long in many janmas by reading materialistic books, now I want to know more about “Athma” and then that person starts looking for a a Spiritual book to know more about Athma.
2) This is the 1st step one starts reading spiritual books.
3) Shastram is classified into two portions.
The first portion is called as Poorva Bhaagam –> Vedas.
The second portion is called as Uttara Bhaagam –> Upanishads.
‘Vedas‘ talk about Karma kaandam. If you do yaagam, poojai etc…then you get so and so phalam and Vedas talks about Devathas and Brahmam (ParamAthma). But, Vedas doesn’t talk about Who is ParamAthma and Purpose of life us to serve Sriman Narayana and reach SriVainkutam (Moksham).
‘Upanishads‘ talks about what Vedas doesn’t tell us like:
Sriman NarayanA is the ParamaAthma and Purpose of life is to serve Sriman Narayana and reach SriVainkutam (Moksham) for Nithya Kainkaryam.
So, when one gets into this stage3 realization, (basically 3rd stage is the 1st step in spiritualism after understanding the existence of Athma)), they start reading the ‘Vedas’ and immedietly come to a conclusion and misunderstands that “REACHING SWARGAM (Heaven)” and watch dances of Rambha, Menaka etc.. and live happily forever in Swargam is the purpose of life and then the person starts doing the neccessary karma yaagam, yagyam etc… to reach that goal.
BhagavAm SriKrisha says it in BG “Yaami maam Pushipithaam……”. How people mistake Swargam is the final destination of life.
[The followers of other two mathams are in this 3rd stage, understanding Body and Spirit. They say, come to our matham, we will cure your disease and you will be happy forever. In actual, after they moved to different mathams, if we ask them, nothing gets cured, since we are in this Samsaram, and Bhoomi, Swarga lokam (heaven) is included inside Samsaram.
Thats why Alwars and Acharyas never recommend to enjoy the phalam as prescribed in Vedas. In SriVaishnavism, we dont talk “please do pancha samskaram” so your diseases will be cured, your money debt will be solved etc… and you will be happy forever. If Alwars,Acharyas says this, then it is same as Cheating others.]
Thats why Alwars/Acharyas always talk about Upanishad saaram about “Piraviyin Payan Piravaamai (Took this Birth to make sure we Dont take re-birth by doing Sharanagathy on Sriman Narayanans lotus feet” and DO “Kainkaryam” to ParamaAthma Sriman Narayanan and HIS favorites Alwars/Acharyas/Adiyars. At the end we get Paramapadham ‘SriVaikuntam (Moksham)’ for Nithya Kainkaryam with Acharya Ramanujar Krupai.
Overall, In this 3rd stage “Udambarai Pattri Soru Theduvaarum”, they are better than stage1 & 2 types of people, since they understood about “Existnce of ATHMA” inaddtion to the “Body” but misunderstood that the Primary goal destination/Purushartham (சோறு) is reaching Swargam and other lokams in this Samsaram.
Adiyen will continue listing in crisp the remaining 8 stages of the 11 stages of a Persons maturity level/Spiritual progress based on Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swami’s Upanyasam “Vaartha Maalai” for other BhagavAtas benefit. Adiyen haven’t heard the 35hrs CD yet, but this taken from Swami’s short upanyasam on Vaartha Maalai.
Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swami to forgive adiyen for any errors or adiyens misunderstanding and Devareer to bless more to continue listing the remaining 8 stages in this forum.
Adiyen Sri Velukkudi Krishna Dasan,
Pinbhu Azhagiya Perumal Jeeyar Swami Ki Jai,
Uyya Oraey Vazhi UdayavAr ThiruvAdi,
Sarvam SriKrishnarpanam Asthu