Respected Swami, I have the following questions regarding Ekadasi fasting and I humbly request you for clarification;
- What is the difference between Smartha and Vaishnava Ekadasi? Also what is Sarva Ekadasi? On which day should I fast?
- At what time does the fasting start and when does it end? Is this timing constant or does it change every Ekadasi?
- What is the significance of Dwadasi day in the context of fasting? Does any ritual related to Ekadasi fasting extend to Dwadasi day?
- Can I consume atleast water on the day of fasting or must the fasting be absolute? Does the age of a person (I am 24) has any bearing on this?
- What are some dos and don’ts on the day of fasting?