Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha,
Namaskaram Anjali BhagavAta,
With Acharya ThiruvAdi Bhalam and Ammangaar Abhimaanam and Velukkudi Sri Krishnan Swami’s Aasirvadham, Adiyen would like to SHARE the connections picking from Swami’s different upanyasams as below sequence of events to answer the question,
1) Tretha Yuga is 1,296,000 Bhooloka years (Kali yuga year 4,32,000 × 3).
2) Total 70 Ishvaaku Kings rule this whole Tretha Yuga as Soorya Vamsam (Ishvaaku Dynasty). They are kShatriyas with Great Yogic powers and hence their life span is much larger, like SriRama itself following HiIS own protical of creation, HE ruled upto 11,000 years in Tretha Yugha. Due to their Yogik powers, these Ishvaaku Kings also visit other lokas like Sathya loka (Brahma loka) etc to see Brahma at times.
3) One of the 1st Generation Ishvaaku King visited Brahma loka. He saw Brahma doing ThiruAradhana (Pooja) to Idol of SrimanNarayana in Recklining posture which is the “Original or 1st Ranganatha Perumal”.
After Pooja, Brahma was distributing the Theertham to His family members (His wife Saraswati, His maanaska son Shiva, His daughter-in-law Paarvathi and to His grandsons Ganapathy and Murughan), like how we distribute Therrtham to our family members.
The Ishvaaku King got attracted to Brahma’s ThiruAradhana Perumal and the King requested Brahma, if He can give it to Him so that He can and take Ranganatha Perumal to Bhooloka. Brahma agreed and gave Him His ThiruAradhana Perumal along with the “Koil Alwar(Golden Vimaansm/Sanctum) which is the Ranganatha Perumal and thus BhagavAn came to Ishvaaku dynasty and then on HE is the ThiruAradhana Perumal for the whole Ishvaaku dynasty.
4) Later, due to Devas Sharanagathy on Sriman NarayanA lotus feet to save them from Ravana, HE in Thirupaar Kadal as “Vyuha Vasudevan” took Poorna Avatar as “SriRama” in Ishvaaku Dynasty in middle of Tretha Yugha, so HE could be 35th or 36th King of Ishvaaku dynasty (not sure exact, but Swami says in “Hari Vamsam”). SriRama could have taken Avatar in any dynasty, but HE chose Ishvaaku dynasty because “HE wanted to do ThiruAradhanai to HIMSELF” which is the Ranganatha Perumal who can during 1st generation Ishvaaku King timing. Till SriRama’s regime, Ranganatha Perumal was in Ayodhya Only. Hence only this Perumal is called as “PERIYA PERUMAL” because BhagavAn HIMSELF did ThiruAradhanai to HIMSELF.
5) After Yuddha kaanda (war between SriRama and Ravana) was over, SriRama was giving gift as token of appreciation to all joined in HIS service to get back HIS Alarmel Mangai Sita Piratti. At that time, when it was Vibhishanaa’s turn, SriRama asked Him what do you need. Vibhishanaa said, “I think YOUR secret of success is because of YOUR ThiruAradhanai Perumal, So can Devareer gift me Ranganatha Perumal”. SriRama agreed and gave Him Ranganatha Perumal, but HE said to Vibhishanaa that if you keep Ranganatha Perumal on any ground, then you will not able to Move HIM again,bso make sure when you fly back from here Ayodhya to Lanka, don’t stop anywhere. However, Vibhishanaa had to do Sandhya Vandhanam, so He stopped at Kauveri river bank and kept Ranganatha Perumal on the ground. After Sandhavandhanam,bHe realised about SriRama’s word of caution. He immediately tried to lift Ranganatha Perumal, but HE never moved, which is the Present SriRangam. But Ranganatha Perumal said to Vibhishanaa that “Don’t worry, I will keep facing towards south where Lanka is there to Bless you and your kingdom”,;which is why Ranganatha Perumal recklining posture facing South. Then comes Vyuha Vasudevan’s Poorna Avatar again as SriKrishna in Dwapara Yugha.
6) Next in Kali Yugha is ThirupaanAlwar, who always used to come to other side of the Kauveri river and sing upon Ranganatha Perumal but never entered the Temple on other side of river bank, due to Varattu Gyaana Priests ruling the Temple discriminating the Pure Devotees. We all know to the Priest BhagavAta Apacharam (throwing stone) on Thiruppaan Alwar, Ranganatha Perumal closed HIS sanctum and ordered the Priest to bring Thiruppaan Alwar inside the Temple. So Priest fell on Thiruppaan Alwar lotus feet for forgiveness and carried the Alwar on his shoulders. That’s when Alwar sung the “AmalanAadhiPiraan” paasuram in which Alwar sings Ranganatha Perumal as “கொண்டல் வண்ணனைக் கோவலனாய் வெண்ணைய் உண்ட வாயன்…….”
Which represents Ranganatha as SriKrishna Himself. So from then on We all devotees consider Ranganatha Perumal as SriKrishna due to ThirupaanAlwar words in the Paasuram is our Pramaanam,. Since Sriman NarayanA Himself is SriRama & SriKrishna. It’s for BhagavAt Anubhavam.
Hence the sequence of events of Rananagatha Perumal Travel History from Sathya Loka to Ayodhya to SriRangam and why we call HIM as SriKrishna.
Adiyen (ElayaAlwar) Srinivasa (DhoddayAcharyar) Dasan.